Let’s Go with the Facts First:
Engineer’s Day is celebrated on the 15th of September every year in India on the birthday of one of the greatest engineers in India to date and an amazing human being Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya (Sir MV).
What is the History of Engineer’s Day?
In India, we celebrate Engineer’s Day on the 15th of September every year on Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya (Sir MV) Birth anniversary. Sir MV is known as India’s most prolific civil engineer, economist, dam builder and statesman. His name is among one of the most prominent builders of India in the 20th century. In his tenure of being the Diwan of Mysore from 1912 to 1918, he completely transformed the state into a place which was then known as a “Model State”. Sir MV is known as “Father of Modern Mysore” for his numerous contributions in industrial, economic and social projects.
Note: Different nations celebrate the day in their way and at different timelines of the year
What are the achievements of Sir MV?
- Sir MV was the chief engineer involved in the construction of the Krishna Raja Sagara Dam in Mysore, the biggest dam in Asia at that time.
- In the year 1909, when the city of Hyderabad was in extreme danger of flood, Sir Visvesvaraya was then appointed as the special consultant engineer to make the Hyderabad city flood proof. His excellent engineering work saved the Visakhapatnam port from sea erosion.
- Sir MV also invented the block system, automated doors that close the water overflows. He designed the floodgates (patented on his name) which were first installed at the Khadakwasla reservoir in Pune in 1903.
- Government Engineering College, Bengaluru was established by Sir MV which was later named as University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering in his honour.
- In 1955, he was awarded with “Bharat Ratna” for his outstanding contribution in the building of India.
- He was also awarded with the British knighthood by King George V, which gives the honour “Sir” before his name
Engineers’ Day Wishes
- Happy Engineer’s Day to all the Engineers. We salute your great ideas and innovations that have truly changed our lives.
- Engineers are person who discover world by their brain and pen, Happy Engineer’s Day
- You are the one who can create anything with your brains and creativity because you are an Engineer, Wishing you a very Happy Engineer’s Day
- Without Engineers in our lives, it would have been a completely different world to live..Warm wishes on Engineer’s Day and a big thankyou for giving us all these inventions.
- On the occasion of Engineer’s Day, we wish to thank the creative, intelligent and amazing engineer in you who is constantly working hard to give us something new
15 Things Only Engineering Students in India would Understand
cricket is the national obsession of India as far as sports is concerned, then ensuring that their child takes up engineering is definitely the obsession of every Indian parent. In a country that produces 15 lakh engineering graduates every year, here are 14 situations that will resonate with most of the engineering students and even graduates from the countless engineering colleges in India:
1. The endless lectures that seem to stretch on forever. These are supposed to arm you with engineering superpowers, but nothing much seems to seep into your brains.
2. The constant realization that engineering seems like a very different thing than you had imagined it to be. And the ensuing struggle to successfully achieve this degree.
3. No matter how well you plan your semester to get a decent GPA score, you have to deal with many bouncers (surprise tests, endless assignments, group projects) which ultimately result in a not-so-impressive final GPA score.
4. No one has perfected the art of last-minute studying like the engineers have. In fact, they’re so confident of their capabilities that partying in the week before exams is the norm. But the night before the exam sees us finishing a 600 page book in 3 hours!
5. We’re in a relationship with a strong beverage like coffee or tea. In fact, engineering students never have enough time for a full-fledged breakfast. Our meals are always on the go [refer image below ;)]
6. Trust no one! Especially that one friend who says he has not even touched his books the night before the exam, yet ends up asking for 2-3 extra answer sheets.
7. No one shares our sense of humour except fellow engineering students. In fact, we get a strange kick from cracking those nerdy jokes that no else but we understand.
8. There are two types of engineering students. Those who wake up at 4 in the morning and those who go to sleep at 4 in the morning. It is another matter, that the hours spent waking up are not always utilized for studying!
9. In the middle of everyday drudgery that classes and lectures seem to be, there are always some brief moments of triumph when you happen to get your brain to function. You then spent a week celebrating those 5 minutes of genius!
10. When the day of viva dawns and everyone is equally clueless. The first one to come out after the viva Q&A session gets hounded by the rest and how!
11. Your senior (to be called “sir”) is always right and imparts you the real gyaan that you need to know. Every fresher at an engineering college knows that and respects their seniors accordingly. Things you learn from your seniors include the fact that just GPAs don’t matter – extra-curricular activities are equally important for landing a good job placement.
12. No matter how excruciatingly tough those 4 (or 5 or 6) years of engineering seem, truth is that you’ll miss this time for the rest of your life!
13. And at the end of it all, you’ll walk out of college having learnt a lot more than just engineering!
14. Indian Parents on Freedom of choosing career : You can be anything you want to be, Here are the options!
15. And you’ll also be armed with the confidence (sometimes misplaced) that you actually can do anything!
But jokes apart, we are truly grateful to all the brilliant engineers whose intellect, dedication & curiosity has led to several path-breaking innovations across the world!
Happy Engineers’ Day!
By Engineer(KCE’s COEIT) on Engineers’ day to wish my fellow Engineer buddies.